The CBD market has exploded with endless products promising pain relief, reduced anxiety, better sleep, and more. With so many options to choose from, how do you ensure you’re getting the maximum benefits from your CBD dose? Research shows sublingual CBD oils and tinctures may offer superior absorption compared to other methods.
Table of Contents
What is Sublingual CBD?
Sublingual administration refers to absorbing a substance under the tongue. CBD oils and tinctures are designed for sublingual use. To take CBD sublingually, use the dropper to place your dosage under your tongue and hold it there for 60-90 seconds before swallowing.
This allows the CBD to enter the bloodstream rapidly through the thin mucous membranes in the mouth rather than passing through the digestive system.
Why Sublingual CBD May Be More Effective
Studies suggest CBD has low oral bioavailability, meaning less of the dose you ingest orally actually reaches your bloodstream . Taking CBD sublingually bypasses the first pass effect in the liver leading to increased CBD absorption and faster activation of CBD’s effects .
Research indicates sublingual CBD results in:
- Faster onset time of 15-30 minutes compared to over an hour for oral ingestion 
- Higher peak concentrations of CBD 
- Increased bioavailability of CBD by as much as 5x compared to swallowing the oil 
These findings make sense given the highly vascular tissues under the tongue allowing CBD to enter the bloodstream quickly.
Optimal Products for Sublingual CBD Dosing
While almost any CBD oil or tincture can be taken sublingually, some product characteristics make administration easier:
- Concentration – Products with higher CBD concentrations mean you can take a smaller volume sublingually and hold it comfortably for faster absorption.
- Carrier oil – Sublingual products use fast-absorbing carrier oils like MCT oil rather than slower-absorbing olive or hemp seed oil.
- Flavored oils – Flavored CBD oils can mask the earthy taste of plain CBD oil, making sublingual holding easier.
- Dropper bottles – Droppers give you precise measurement for consistent CBD dosing.
Tips for Maximizing Results from Sublingual CBD
To get the full advantages of sublingual CBD delivery:
- Place drops under the tongue near the lowest gum line close to the blood vessels.
- Hold for at least 60-90 seconds before swallowing for optimal absorption.
- Don’t swallow immediately or drink/eat for up to 10 minutes after to allow full sublingual absorption.
- Try holding for 2-3 minutes and using tongue motion to spread the oil if the cannabis taste is difficult to tolerate.
- Dose sublingually 2-3 times per day for sustained CBD levels.
Sublingual CBD Versus Other Delivery Methods
While sublingual CBD offers distinct advantages, other methods like vaping, topicals, and edibles can complement it:
Vaping – Inhaling vaporized CBD provides the fastest effects. However, sublingual tinctures last considerably longer.
Topicals – CBD topicals target skin-based symptoms better but don’t reach the bloodstream as readily.
Edibles – While oral CBD has lower bioavailability than sublingual, edibles can provide longer-lasting effects.
Sublingual – Taking CBD sublingually gives you the best of both worlds – fast onset and sustained duration in one.
Should You Dose CBD Sublingually?
Research clearly shows that absorbing CBD under the tongue substantially improves absorption, allowing you to reduce your dose for the same therapeutic benefits. While swallowing CBD capsules or oils provides effects, sublingual tinctures give you more bang for your buck.
If you are new to CBD, starting with the sublingual method means you can find the minimal dose that provides your desired results. Given the high cost of quality CBD, using a sublingual tincture strategically makes achieving wellness goals more affordable in the long-run.
* You will receive the latest information, deals, and updates in the world of CBD!